Sunday, November 14, 2010

Koalas and Kangaroos

If you read the last post about Marcus then you obviously know I'm still alive.  It was odd...we never actually ran into each other again.  That's fine with me!

So, this week I've been slowly getting over something called "Walking Pneumonia."  I've been coughing up blood, mucus and anything else sinister.  I finally went to the doctor a few days ago and got some antibiotics.  I've been taking it easy all week.  Usually I go to the beach, walk a few km's and come back.  These last two days the hostel has completely emptied out.  I've been in an 8 guy room and I'm the only one in there!  Loneliness definitely sets in when there is literally no one in your hostel besides 2 snobby (or less likely shy) French girls, a couple of Asians who can't speak English well and an old guy.

Yesterday as the loneliness hit its peak, I decided to swim in the ocean.  Unfortunately, there were heaps of jellyfish.  There were blue bottle ones that looked like something from outer space, ones that looked like ice cubes and even one with tiger stripes.  Tiger stripes + Jellyfish can't equal something good.  Later that day I received an email from Axel with his number.  He had got a new place about 2 km south so i walked there and we had a beer.  It was good actually having a conversation with someone again.  He's a good guy.

Today I decided to go to this wildlife sanctuary.  I spent about 5 hours there checking out all the animals.  The Kangaroo park was amazing.  There was about 100 Kangaroos just lounging out and you could feed and pet them.  FACT: Kangaroos are soft.  There you go...we all learned something today.  I went into a sub-section of the park and found Tree Kangaroos, which are the cutest things on Earth.  Sorry for saying "cute"...not manly enough.  Uh...*cough* Nascar...Football!!!!  Yeah!!!  There we go...back to normal.

I saw the Koalas and read about how they are dying out.  It made me so mad.  200 years ago there were 10 million and now there are about 100,000.  I hate humans.  It made me think that I could pursue a career as an environmentalist.  I hear they get paid big time.  Hmm...sarcasm doesn't work in text.  But atleast I'd be doing something good for the world...plus I could kind of have a pet Koala...I'd name it Koala.  Creative.

I came home today and whoaaaa..there is now 1 more person in my room.  This hostel is getting packed.  Again...sarcasm doesn't work in text.  I only have 2 more full days here until I shoot over to New Zealand for phase 3 of this journey.
3 more days till New Zealand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment