Sunday, October 31, 2010

Melbourne

For the last week I've been in Melbourne walking around and exploring.  There's nothing like being on your own in a foreign city and wandering.  I think I walked about 10 miles the first two days.  I found this amazing Asian bakery called Breadtop, which sells a lot of mini things like cheeseburgers.  Ordinary things are funny when they are mini.  Things are about double in prices here so just going to McDonalds is going to be costing you about $10.  If you live in Australia it's alright since minimum wage is $15 an hour but most people are making around $20.  If you are American you will pay.  This country seems to be "socialized" but everyone is living pretty good.

Halloween here is slowly coming along.  It's nowhere near the level it is in the US.  We found one place that was celebrating it - a gothic club.  I walked in and immediately thought I was in the Fifth Element with all the neon people and glowing eyes.  "Ahhh..here we go..Halloween", I said.  Then one guy replied "It's like this everynight here."  So Melbourne has a Fifth Element bar 24/7.  We proceeded to get trashed and have a good time.  I had some absinthe, which tasted like blackout.  Since Australia is great..the last call was at 5:30 A.M. and we stayed till pretty much then, stumbled home, grabbed some McDonalds and passed out.

The next day consisted of recovery and gambling.  I dropped some cash the night before so I was hesitant on losing but I came out ahead.  After getting Thai and some candy I actually made money on the day - $4.  I am now addicted to pokies (slot machines to us Americans) and will most likely be gambling everyday from here on out.  It was nice knowing you. 

Getting ready to go on a roadtrip up into south central Australia.  It's called Adelaide but I thought "South Central Australia" sounded way more hardcore.  After we get back I'll jump on a plane to Gold Coast and will stay at a hostel 1 block from the beach.  Eventually I'm going to get to New Zealand...I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment